Wednesday, January 24, 2018

I know very little about this play, Death of a Salesman. Immediately when seeing the first scene of the salesman entering the home, I find myself thinking, "Is he the protagonist? Antagonist? Are there hints from the title or the opening music that could give me clues about his character?"
I was trying to piece together the information from the title and the first line spoken in the play. After hearing her husband's suitcases hit the floor, the wife of the salesman jumps up from sleep, saying, "Willie?" He responds, rather glum, "It's alright- I came back." This immediately has me guessing as to what this salesman has been up to, why his wife is frantically asking questions after he responds, and why she sounds so jittery and the husband so mellow and glum.


I noticed here watching it again that they use little microphone headsets to amplify their voice. As far as I could see, there is no singing or music in the play- it's very quiet and typically one only hears the person talking. I think it is odd for them to have their headsets on- it seems to make their characters really dull and without genuine emotion. They don't have to worry about speaking any louder than they are to really get their point across because their regular voice is already so loud.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Trees of Men

I have always been fascinated with trees. Ever since I was young, I loved to climb and play in them. I would observe them and ma...