Friday, March 9, 2018

My Gratitude for Religion, and My Introduction to Poetry


While I must admit that poetry has not always played a large role in inspiring or motivating things in my life, there are some notable exceptions. When I first began to be interested in poetry, I was introduced by it mainly through religious sources, like hymns, scriptures, and occasionally general conference talks. The most notable, or the one that had the greatest impact on me, was quoted at the end of a talk by Boyd K. Packer in October, 2009.

“With thoughtless and impatient hands,

We tangle up the plans the Lord has wrought,

And when we cry in pain He saith,

‘Be quiet, Man, while I untie the knot.’”

-Author Unkown

This poem, assumed to have been written by an LDS author, is written in a way that struck my heart at a crossroads type of moment in my own life. It talks about following God’s plan, and how often we unknowingly fight against it, trying to follow more selfish ambitions or trying to be more like those around us to fit in. The imagery of our life as a kind of painful knot, that the Lord slowly tries to untie by trying to guide us down the right path is extremely powerful, and the iambic pattern and rhyme scheme make the sounds in this poem flow in an unusually smooth way. You could interpret the last line as a type of rebuke from the Lord, when he tells the man to be quiet, but in my own opinion, by asking us to be silent, what is actually meant is to stop struggling, and to let ourselves be humble enough to be guided by his hand, because that is the only way that we can truly begin to untangle our lives when we make incorrect decisions or don’t do what we know is right.

Another piece of literature that I must mention comes from the hymnbook, more specifically hymn number 97, Lead Kindly Light. I first began to appreciate this hymn while I was on my mission, where it was called “Leid Vriendlijk Licht.” The message it has is one that resonated a lot with me when I first took the time to let the lyrics sink in, my favorite verse is the first, where it says,

“Lead, kindly Light, amid th’encircling gloom;

Lead thou me on!

The night is dark, and I am far from home;

Lead thou me on!

Keep thou my feet; I do not ask to see

The distant scene—one step enough for me.”

This verse talks about having enough faith to keep going, even when all you can see is just one more step in front of you. I think that this message is applicable in so many ways, and is a powerful verse that speaks to the heart. There are elements of a couple poetic devices, like touches of end rhyme and alliteration, that help the song to flow and sound more poetic. The light is meant to be a symbol for Christ, or the Holy Ghost, that lead us through our lives and help us to determine what choices we should make. The darkness can be seen as life’s uncertainties, and the challenges and struggles that people go through. In the song it says, “I do not ask to see… one step enough for me.” I think those words are so significant, because the author is implying that they are putting their trust entirely in the Lord, and are willing to follow him no matter what. It is an impressive sign of faith that I think can serve as a good example of how we should try to live our lives.

The reason that both of these pieces have religious themes is because religion and church are what really got me interested in lyrics and poetry, and I’m not sure I would have nearly enough appreciation for them if I wasn’t introduced to them through the church, scriptures, and hymns.

One of my favorite scriptures that I believe has poetic elements is 2 Ne 4:28:30 where it says,

“Awake, my soul! No longer droop in sin. Rejoice, O my heart, and give place no more for the enemy of my soul.

Do not anger again because of mine enemies. Do not slacken my strength because of mine afflictions.

Rejoice, O my heart, and cry unto the Lord, and say: O Lord, I will praise thee forever; yea, my soul will rejoice in thee, my God, and the rock of my salvation.”

Here Nephi laments his state of being, and wishes to transcend the natural man in order to live a more righteous life. In this lamentation, there is almost a psalm or song like quality to his words. There is some repetition employed as he attempts to arouse his soul to live the laws of the gospel and grow closer to God. I see these verses as very motivational and inspirational, and I can relate to the position Nephi was in as he tried to improve and make himself better. He recognized his weaknesses in these verses, but despite them still wants to rise above and improve.

3 comments:

  1. I think you got the personal aspect down pretty well, but I think you got very wordy, towards the end it got very hard to keep reading. Maybe just focusing on the two pieces instead of three, even then you can analyze a ton even in super short pieces. The spacing in some of the works is a little weird, but maybe you can use that to make your text stand out, right now it's a bit bland. Hop this helped, good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I honestly really like the formatting of your post. Although it's long, as intended to be, it doesn't come off as a drag to read upon first glance. Your use of a picture of Christ right at the beginning certainly helps show the reader what your theme is, and the fact that is a reverent picture shows that you're going to be taking some sort of poem in a reverent manner. I would maybe consider a different title, one that is a little shorter and little more grabbing, you know? Other than that I feel like everything is pretty good!

    ReplyDelete

Trees of Men

I have always been fascinated with trees. Ever since I was young, I loved to climb and play in them. I would observe them and ma...